First Crane Sighting Contest – 2018Mike Mack shared this great video of the cranes he sighted on March 17: Every year we hold the first crane sighting of the season contest. A wonderful prize is awarded to the individual who submits the first photo. Prizes are also awarded for the first sightings in West Moffat, Craig, West Routt, South Routt, North Routt, and Steamboat Springs. This year, we received a record 57 reports! We have really enjoyed viewing all of your submissions! Your reports help us learn more about the Greater Sandhill Cranes in northwest Colorado. This, in turn, helps our efforts to protect the cranes and conserve their habitat.
News Flash March 31, 2018 – Winners AnnouncedGrand Prize: Iva Decker and her grandson, Charlie Williams March 3, 4:30 p.m. on Thompson Hill near Loudy Simpson Park in Craig
- West Moffat: Miles Family (Peter & Tamara) March 5, 5:55 p.m. over Yampa River in Sunbeam, CO
- Craig: Terry Sexton March 9, 9:20 a.m. near Loudy Simpson Park in Craig
- West Routt: Shawna Wiser March 11, 11:27 a.m. on RCR 86 along Elkhead Creek
- South Routt: Michele Baxter March 11, 6:30 p.m., far southern end of Thorpe Mountain, ¾ mile past the inlet to Stagecoach Reservoir
- North Routt: Anna Blakeslee March 14, at 8 a.m., Fetcher Ranch
- Steamboat Springs: Bonnie Goertz March 20, 8:45 a.m., CR 42